Our eyes are one of our most valuable assets and also one of the most delicate. Without them we would be lost (literally), but with modern technology we are able to save more people from going blind and/or having bad eye sight. We usually do not side with Western medicine, but with eye care we are truly impressed. However, we still believe in a more natural approach for those of us suffering from more mild ailments like infections.
There are many different types of eye infectinos, the most prominent causes being bacterial and viral infections coming in direct contact with the eye ball (check out the video).
Some of the most common infections are:
- Blepharitis- inflammation affecting the eyelids that causes burning, irritation, and itching
- Dacryocystitis- Infection on or around the tear duct
- Keratitis (corneal ulcers)- Can be caused due to damage to the cornea caused by a foreign object
- Orbital Cellulitis- Inflammation surrounding the eye (patients lost vision in more serious caseS)
- Pink Eye- More common, infection causes irritation and redness in the eye. Is an air-borne disease
- Stye- Also very common, Small bump formed at the base of the eyelash or the inside eyelid
Some of the common signs or symptoms are:
- Constant Itching
- Swelling of the ye
- Blurred vision
- Irritation of the eye
- Redness of the eye
- Watery eye
- Pain in or around the eye
- Yellor or greenish discharge
Our favorite remedies:
- To get rid of a stye use a hot compresses on the swollen lump with the help of hot cloth. Leave for 15 minute and repeat often.
- Styes can also be treated by using a tea bag soaked in warm water. Place this bag over the stye and let it stay for few minutes. This makes the stye shrink to half its size due to the tannic acid present in the tea. Keep doing it even when the stye is dry.
- For an inflammed eye soak two tea bags in warm water and let sit on the eye for 5 minutes.
- Make your own eye drops by mixing one teaspoon of turmeric powder in 2 cups of water. Use this at least three times a day till the swelling subsides.
- You can make a natural eye wash solution by boiling a tsp of coriander seeds in 1 cup of water. It is very good in treating a stye.
- As aloe vera has great healing properties it becomes very useful in treating styes. Cut an aloe vera leaf and use the juicy side of the leaf on the sty.
- You can make herbal eyewashes by using 1 tsp dried eyebright herb steeped in 1 pint of boiling water. Cool and strain this liquid and use it as eyewash.
- Make a warm compress by using chamomile, lavender or rose oil for pink eye.
- Soak aloe vera juice in a cloth to be placed over your eyes to soothe them. Aloe vera juice can be used as eyewash by following similar procedure.
- You can put honey directly in your eyes or make honey eyewash by using three tablespoons of honey in two cups of boiling water.
- Use the juice from an aloe vera plant as an eye wash.
- For pinkeye- fill a glass jar with distilled water and in that add 7-8 Jasmine flowers. Cover it with a lid and leave it overnight. The next morning pour drops of water in your eyes with the jasmine flower. Keep repeating till your eyes get soaked. Do this at least three times a day to notice the difference.
- If you have a stye in your eye, a hot compress is the fastest way for such an eye infection treatment. Simply make a ball of cloth, heat it, and use it to apply heat on the swollen stye. This helps in improving blood circulation, allowing the stye to come to a head so that it can drain out.
Use guava leaves for people suffering with stye problem. The leaves can be warmed and kept in a damp warm cloth. Use the damp cloth as a compress to reduce the redness and the swelling.
- Boil a spoonful of coriander seeds in a cup of water. Sieve the solution and use the water to wash your eyes. This is an excellent eyewash.
- Make a warm aromatic compress using the essential oils of chamomile, rose oil, or lavender. Heat the compress and let the healing effects of the oils treat your eye infection.
- You can also use artificial tears to clean the eye, just be sure your buying a more natural or organic brand.